[Proj] RE: [OSGeo-Discuss] Brief history of GIS OSS (bit offtopic?)

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 15:19:59 PDT 2008

I'm delighted to see people documenting the OSGeo history. This sort of
information is regularly embedded in presentations and it will be good
to have a comprehensive history to reference.

I'm hoping some historian gets inspired to collect the war stories of
all the different projects, collect the motivations, the trials, what
worked and what didn't, and how GeoFOSS has grown to what it is today. I
reckon it would be a very good read. (Well maybe a good read for us
select geeks interested in this stuff).

Re Mapbuilder:

I'd be more inclined to say Mapbuilder started in December 2003, when
the code for the current codebase started.

I recently updated the Mapbuilder timeline to include our key milestones
here:
http://communitymapbuilder.org/display/MAP/Strategic+Direction#StrategicDirection-KeyMilestones

--
Cameron Shorter