[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: Local Chapter, network and structuration

P Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 15:55:45 PDT 2008

On 8/27/08, Dave Patton <davep at confluence.org> wrote:
> On 2008/08/26 3:08 PM, James Fee wrote:
>
> > I overheard someone say at GeoWeb 2008 that they could care less about
> > FOSS4G outside of North America and they have no interest in what will
> > probably be the next couple FOSS4Gs around the world.
> >

>  Hearing things like that, and the reactions about it being
>  'impossible' for USA state and local government employees, etc.,
>  make me wonder if there is any value in having the organizing
>  committees of 'foreign' OSGeo events doing any marketing
>  directly to such people.

I wonder what is the cost of marketing directly to me?

I wonder what is marketing directly to me?

I don't remember seeing an what seemed like a paid ad for any
MUM/FOSS4G conference in a paper magazine or also on a web site?

Just curious.

By the way, I am not a State/Local/Fed employee, yet, I too have
little interest in these overseas, high-cost conferences, at least as
long as I have no funding support for them. I do suspect that at some
point, at least for me personally, a conference becomes too big to
continue being useful.

Nelson Institute for Environmental Studies http://www.nelson.wisc.edu/
Open Source Geospatial Foundation (OSGeo) http://www.osgeo.org/