[OSGeo-Discuss] Shapefile's dfb editing

Allan Hollander adhollander at ucdavis.edu
Fri Dec 12 10:19:06 PST 2008

My usual trick for dealing with dbf files is to import them into R and
manipulate them there. The read.dbf and write.dbf functions in the R foreign
library (see http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-data.html) seem quite
robust. R is a programming environment for statistical computing; it's
probably overkill to start learning R just to manipulate your dbf files, but
R is an incredibly useful and powerful system, which by the way has a lot of
spatial analysis capabilities (see
http://cran.cnr.berkeley.edu/web/views/Spatial.html), including links to
GRASS.

-- Allan Hollander