[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: GeoExt: call for participation

Roald de Wit roald.dewit at lisasoft.com
Mon Dec 15 04:28:10 PST 2008

Hi Bart, Cameron and lists,

Now it's time to de-lurk I guess. I've been subscribed to these lists
for some time now and this is my first post.
OSGeo Discuss members: this is a discussion started by Cameron Shorter,
2 posts down in this email.

As Cameron points out: for our organisation the GPL (v3) license is too
restrictive.

Bart, we have looked at the exceptions as pointed out in the URL you
provided [1]. Unfortunately section 2.e says:

    "Your Extension can reasonably be considered to be adding to or
    modifying standard functionality of the Library for software
    development purposes and not an independent and separate Application
    in itself."

This would surely cause our applications (proprietary or not) to fail to
comply with ExtJS' exception.

Trying to convince the GeoExt community to move to another JS library
seems to me like advising protestants to become catholics. There is a
place for both and in my personal opinion: no need to convert anone from
their belief to another.

In order to attract a broader audience I send this email to the OSGeo
discuss list as well. We would like to know if there are others out
there that share our interest in the GeoExt development and our concerns
in regards to the licensing issues that surround it.

Is there room for another project that wants to achieve a similar goal
as GeoExt but uses a less restrictively licensed JS library (like
jQuery's dual GPL/MIT license) and would there be interest from the
OSGeo-minded community to join forces to achieve that goal?

Kind regards,

Roald

[1]  http://extjs.com/products/ux-exception.php

--
Roald de Wit
Software Engineer
roald.dewit at lisasoft.com

Commercial Support for Open Source GIS Software
http://lisasoft.com/LISAsoft/SupportedProducts/