[OSGeo-Discuss] Image Management in an RDBMS...(was OS Spatial environment 'sizing')

Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au
Thu Feb 21 01:41:29 PST 2008

IMO:

Hi Tyler,

Thanks for the reply.

> Am I correct in believing that the two things people desire with
> images in an RDB,  is having an abstract 1) storage framework
> (tables) and
> 2) a common access language (SQL) for managing the
> framework.   You could have the most complex storage set up behind
> the scenes, but as long as the access interface plays well, the
> complexity could be minimised by good UI design.   At least I think
> so, but haven't done it before.

I can't speak for other people's needs, but only give my own opinion.

My experience with storing spatial data in a database is mainly limited to
ESRI's solutions based on ArcSDE/Oracle (~7 years). I have had a cursory
look at Oracle Spatial and PostGres/PostGIS and intend looking a lot
closer at both. I've also used a number of spatial tools over the years
from a number of vendors.

I've implemented and managed a number of ArcSDE instances over the years.
As skeptical as I am about the decision to rename the product as ArcGIS
Server basic (or whatever its called now), ESRI have done a great job with
the product. Particularly with its integration with ArcGIS Desktop as the
primary user interface for adding, maintaining and managing spatial data
from a GUI. You don't need to use SQL, but it also has its advantages
(when appropriate).

I've found a number of benefits with managing spatial data in a corporate
database environment. These comments apply to both vector and image  data.
I'm sure that these comments are equally pertinent to most RDBMS
maintained spatial data. Some examples are:

- Within a large organisation, it is possible to get rid of most of the
islands of data that are hidden in a wide variety of departments. If
implemented right, people come to see the database as the authoritive
source of their data and respect it as such.

- This can remove the situation where you get multiple copies of the same
dataset around your organisation, with different people making their own
independent edits to the data and expecting someone to reconcile the edits
with the authoritative data set at a later time (if you're lucky).

- It can also remove the situation where someone takes a copy of a
critical data set and does not update it for several years, leaving
business people making critical decisions on suspect data.

- You can start managing your data for a given geographic phenomena as a
single entity covering a large geographic region, without having to resort
to tiles and all the related edge matching problems that we had in the
past (e.g. mismatching pixels, lines, polygons that just end at the tile
boundary or have an incorrect attibute on the matching sheet etc).

- Some of the biggest advantages though, come from the corporate IT
support that you come to rely on, e.g. regular backups, large disk
capacity on fast SAN devices, secure access to data by authorised
custodians, redundant databases for disaster recovery, point in time
restoration of data etc.

To date, I have not found a suitable solution for managing imagery that
includes multi and hyper spectral data in a database. But I'm looking.

Ideally the solution will use open data formats for storage and delivery.
I'm getting sick of having to redevelop corporate applications with the
same functionality because a vendor has decided to change their technology
and data formats. This results in a lot of wasted time and money that
would be better used implementing effective decision support tools that
allow businesses to better understand and exploit their data.

> Some more recent raster in db discussion here:
> http://spatialgalaxy.net/2008/02/15/rasters-in-the-database-why-bother/

Thanks for the heads-up Tyler. I obviously don't know what I'm talking
about ;-) (eh Tim?).

Bruce

Notice:

contained in this email.