[OSGeo-Discuss] GIS applications to off-shore E&P (oil & gas)

Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au
Thu Feb 21 15:00:32 PST 2008

IMO:

Hi Paulo,

> I have been wondering, and haven't found much literature on the
> subject of applying GIS to the E&P chain. I can see it would be
> useful, but can't exactly see where and how.
>
> Also note, that I am coming from a geology background, now working
> with reservoir geophysics, and that one of my previous jobs was with
> GIS in the Brazilian Geological Survey.

By E&P, I'm assuming that you're referring to Exploration and Petroleum?

I've worked in several roles over the years working with Geoscientific
data particularly as it relates to data management and in Minerals
Exploration and Mining. In my current role that is also my current focus,
however there is a looming need for the integration of Petroleum related
data as well.

I don't claim to be an expert, but I personally think that this is just
another application of spatial data, albeit with its own unique
challenges, e.g.:

- As I see it the problem space is essentially 4D in nature, where true 3D
non-uniform data needs to be modelled, while taking into account changes
over time to try and understand the factors that led to the formation of
various 'rocks'. This includes looking at issues like continental drift to
look for what was potentially adjacent in the past when looking for new
provinces to explore.

- The amount of data to be managed is challenging. We're looking at in the
vicinity of 60TB and increasing rapidly.

- There are a number of 'true 3D' modelling tools (NB: for others, I'm not
talking DEMs here) that allow you to model sub-surface data at a mine
scale (e.g. Datamine, Vulcan etc), and several others for regional scale
work (we're using GoCad and GeoModeller). These use a variety of
approaches from 3D wireframe modelling through to 3D block modelling with
fluid dynamics. I don't know of any serious 3D data management in a
database yet, though I understand that Oracle has announced something with
v.11. As always, a good Spatial Metadata solution is essential.

- 2D spatial data and tools such as GIS and Remote Sensing are very useful
in getting an understanding of your area of interest. This includes
traditional data such as topographic, environmental, exploration
tenements, infrastructure and remote sensing data such as satellite
imagery, hyperspectral imagery (one use is looking for oil seeps on the
ocean surface), LIDAR, radar, geophysics etc.... Cross Sections through
the earth surface may also be considered as 2D data, though they also have
considerable value in the 3D modelling process.

- Sonar, sesimic etc data is also 'spatial' data.

- There are dedicated Petroleum systems that you may be interested in e.g
Petrosys, dbmap etc.

- When it comes to modelling Geoscientific data, the variety and depth of
inter-relationships of aspatial requirements is probably beyond the
ability of most (if not all) GIS to manage effectively. We're developing
an approach for the management of our geoscientific data that has the
geographic component of spatial data managed in ArcSDE via ArcGIS and the
aspatial component managed in a dedicated database with an overarching
WebSphere application controlling attribute maintenance and constructing
geoscience 'objects' at run time. Our aim is to serve these as OGC
'complex objects' via WFS using **GeoServer** for use via GIS, 3D app,
statistics package etc.

You may want to have a look at the work happening with GeoSciML and the
'One Geology' project for more background on this. See:

https://www.seegrid.csiro.au/twiki/bin/view/CGIModel/GeoSciML

http://www.onegeology.org/

I hope this helps,

Bruce