[OSGeo-Discuss] Image Management in an RDBMS...(was OS Spatial environment 'sizing')

Tim Bowden tim.bowden at westnet.com.au
Thu Feb 21 17:49:38 PST 2008

Bruce,
Note: I've never tried this, and I'm making it up as I go.  Others more
informed than me may well kill the idea (Paul?).

Use a file based approach to managing your image data, and back up to
git.  That way you can recover to any point.  New files are put on the
file system and pushed into git.

The downside to that approach is your history metadata is only stored in
one place; your git backup.  If your backup goes awol, you'll lose your
PIT recovery feature.  To overcome that you'd need a second git repo
(meaning you'd have three copies of your images, not two which may well
be a storage problem).  Perhaps an alternative would be just to store
the git metadata a second time, but I'm have no idea if that would be
possible to do a full recovery from image files on disk and git metadata
without the 'blobs' it uses.  Someone who has some reasonable experience
with git may be able to comment here.

Just a thought,
Tim
(Paul, I hope no puppies have been slaughtered!)