[OSGeo-Discuss] Image Management in an RDBMS...(was OS Spatial environment 'sizing')

Randy George rkgeorge at cadmaps.com
Thu Feb 21 18:49:03 PST 2008

Hi Bruce,

"What approaches are people using with large Lidar datasets?"

You might take a look at the WeoGeo group. They are a commercial operation,
not FOSS, but they are throwing dedicated AWS instances at the issue of
lidar file serving. The dedicated instance, I gather, is for the sole use of
the download client with any clip, re-project, or re-format processing
requested. Paul Bisset would be happy to clarify.   http://www.weogeo.com/

Some more details here: http://www.cadmaps.com/gisblog/?p=25

The lidar itself is I assume a raw file, probably split into a set of S3
objects which are stream concatenated and run through the processing
instance and out to the requestor. Since the data sets are very large the
dedicated assignment of a temporary cpu or two is justified.

Beyond that I would like to see at least some lidar sets treated like the
JPL srtm which is made accessible via WMS with pixel coded elevation as
grayscale. Paul Ramsey's inimitable advice would work well for lidar too.
The end client can turn a WMS request on a lidar image pyramid behind say
Geoserver into whatever is desired, in my case I would turn it into 3D xaml
meshes.  I imagine this could be done in a more standards compliant manner
through the WCS spec. I believe that the JPL srtm was made public before an
implementation of WCS was accessible.

http://onearth.jpl.nasa.gov/index.html

The default styles for the elevation layers are a version of the elevation
maps scaled to 8 bit. The full elevation values can be retrieved from this
server by requesting the short_int or feet_short_int styles in combination
with the image/png image/geotiff or image/tiff value for the format
argument. The result of such a request will be an image where the signed
short integer values contained in the image file for each pixel are the
elevation of the respective point on the map, in either meters or feet. The
base data is in meters. The us_ned layer base data is floating point real
numbers in meters, data which can be retried in tiff or geotiff format when
using the real or feet_real as styles.

I like the interchange of comments on this subject . In the end I'm inclined
to stick with the simplicity of file storage for imagery.

Thanks

Randy