[OSGeo-Discuss] Image Handling in RDBMS

Gilberto Camara gilberto.camara at inpe.br
Fri Feb 22 02:26:43 PST 2008

Dear OSGEO

I also beg to differ with Paul about the number of cases where image data handling in RDBMS is useful or necessary.

In corporate applications where vectors and raster live together, and data processing and editing operations are used, handling different types of data together in a database is convenient. Control is more important than performance.

Our TerraAmazon system (presented in the latest FOSS4G conference) does this, and we handle large files without problems.

For one-way image servers, on a write once, read mostly basis, then the case for handling raster data inside the DBMS is less clear. Since the output is an image delivered to the user, either as a file or as a visualization, DBMS features such as concurrency control and long transactions are not needed. Performance is more important than control in this case.

Best regards,
Gilberto