[OSGeo-Discuss] 'lossless' JPEG2000

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Mon Feb 25 10:18:04 PST 2008

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 09:27:22AM -0800, Michael P. Gerlek wrote:
> Bruce-
>
> Again, I'm not sure how to convince you of this...  JP2 is inherently
> lossless just like GeoTIFF is; what arguments do you / would you find
> persuaive to use GeoTIFF?  (alternatively, what do you use now that you
> trust?)

I'm late in the game (having been in the Caymans all last week), but I
find JP2 more difficult than GeoTIFF simply because the open source
tools for working with JP2 through GDAL seem to be significantly flawed.
The Kakadau (I think?) JP2 library seems to resolve a lot of this, but
the end result is not an Open Source tool, so far as I'm aware: this
matters more in terms of my personal (non-commercial) projects like
OpenAerialMap, where I can't take a GeoTIFF, reencode it to JP2, and use
that as my base imagery for 'free', either libre or gratis.

I have had some success with JPG-compressed GeoTIFFs, but these are
lossy, and that causes problems (obviously): uncompressed GeoTIFFs are
also problematic due to their raw size.

(This answer to the question may be irrelevant, as I'm jumping in in the
middle of the thread. If so, I apologize.)

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt
Web Developer