[OSGeo-Discuss] 'lossless' JPEG2000

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Mon Feb 25 18:04:59 PST 2008

Christopher -

You will very likely find that using different LZW compression options (particularly setting a small strip size) will slightly degrade compression performance while significantly improving read time.  While I think your test data are valid, they only address one of many possible configurations and I wouldn't necessarily make broad generalizations about LZW from them.

However, I have generally found that LZW compression for photographic data is indeed not a good choice; I'm surprised you got it to perform as well as you did (in compression).

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
Chief Mapmaker
Demand Media / TopoZone.com