[OSGeo-Discuss] 'lossless' JPEG2000

Michael P. Gerlek mpg at lizardtech.com
Tue Feb 26 10:16:07 PST 2008

JPEG 2000 is a method for encoding raster images, in such a way that in
the encoded version the image has special properties -- ability to
extact "down-sampled" versions (with data loss), ~2x space savings, etc
-- while still retaining all of the original data.  You can read the ISO
spec and verify the math, if you wish, to prove the encodings are
lossless, or alternatively you can trust the experts on the ISO
committee.

One can optionally choose to throw away bits while doing the encoding
(or after), but that is outside the realm of the JP2 encoding spec per
se.  Modulo metadata, you can't tell if the image has undergone lossy
compression or not.

Again, what format do you store your data in now, and what "proof" do
you use to show it is lossless?  (Just to be sure: you do know that the
data that you receive from your satellite ground station is not
bit-for-bit identical with the data that comes off the sensor unit on
the satellite?)

If you'd like to get me samples of your data, either by FTP or CD, I'd
be happy to encode them into JP2 format and point to some decoders you
can use yourself to verify the data is indeed lossless (modulo
metadata).  Futhermore, here at LizardTech, we run regression tests on
hundreds of images of all different data types on multiple HW and SW
platforms on a 24x7 basis, and we'd be happy to include your data in our
regression suite.

-mpg