[OSGeo-Discuss] FOSS4G 2007 Wrap Up

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Mon Jan 14 21:28:40 PST 2008

All,

I want to thank OSGeo for bringing FOSS4G 2007 to Victoria. We had a
great conference, and for me personally it was a peak life
experience, never to be replicated!

Our conference organizer, Sea To Sky Conferences, has been steadily
closing off the books over the last few months, paying our suppliers
and bringing in the final receivables.  Today I received the final
report, and have placed a public version online on the conference site.

http://www.foss4g2007.org/foss4g2007-final-report-public.pdf

Thanks to a paid attendance that was 60% higher than expected,
refunds from our A/V supplier (due to the wireless network and
plenary issues) and lower than expected food costs, FOSS4G 2007 will
return a surplus of just over $110,000CAD to OSGeo.

The huge extra attendance was a great reflection on the enthusiasm
for OSGeo and what we are doing in the larger geospatial community.
The comments and evaluations in the final report are well worth
reading, they reflect the high value that people felt the
presentations, labs, workshops and demos provided -- when our
community gets together to talk, what we have to say has tremendous
value.

Thanks again, everybody, for a great conference, and really memorable
week.

Yours,

Paul