[OSGeo-Discuss] Open Technology Group, Inc. announces PostGIS & UMN MapServer Training

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 13:14:29 PST 2008

Howard Butler wrote:

> On Jan 17, 2008, at 1:34 PM, Cameron Shorter wrote:
>> If you were to lead the development of this material and put it into
>> the Open Source (with your name attached) this would give you extra
>> credibility and marketing reach.
>
> Why?  Why must OTG put their hard earned training materials in the
> public domain and give them away for free for "extra credibility"?
> What would then be the incentive for someone to pay $$$ to go to an
> intensive training session?  IMO, what OTG is doing is a very
> classical business model of Open Source development.  Publishers like
> O'Reilly, Apress, Springer or our own FOSS4G event workshops (did you
> know FOSS4G cleared 100k this year? ;) ) follow this exact model.

In answer: OTG doesn't need to put training material into Public Domain,
same as software companies don't need to put software into Open Source.
However, I'd hope that companies would see a good business case for open
data and open documentation for the same reasons we write Open Source
Software. And OSS users would be receptive to Open Documentation
business models.

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Systems Architect