[OSGeo-Discuss] Open Geo Database

Sampson, David dsampson at NRCan.gc.ca
Wed Jan 23 13:12:14 PST 2008

just as another note, as of GRASS 7 it looks like they will be moving their default DB format to SQLITE instead of the traditional DBF format

http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/GRASS_7_ideas_collection#Database

it might make sense to have a community effort contribute to this as a whole. The positive side is that there is already adoption of an OSGEO product as GRASS is moving in this direction. Determine a comon schema that can be shared around between projects and voila.

Or we could ignore this and then revist this same issue again in the future with no movement forward.

just thought I'd share.

Cheers

________________________________

From: discuss-bounces at lists.osgeo.org [mailto:discuss-bounces at lists.osgeo.org] On Behalf Of Bob Basques
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2008 09:40
To: OSGeo Discussions
Subject: Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] Open Geo Database

All,

Don't know the specifics about the engine being used, but we discussed using the Plone storage mechanism, a few times, for spatial data.  Just didn't seem like a quick enough payoff to try anything out.  At least not on the surface.

There was a thought that there might be something to start with though.

bobb

Miguel Montesinos wrote:

	Hi,

	¿Does anyone know about similar projects using object oriented databases, such as db4objects[1], which is a GPL product with native engines for Java, Java ME, Mono, .NET, ...?

	Cheers

	[1] http://www.db4o.com/

	Miguel Montesinos
	Director Técnico