[OSGeo-Discuss] Finding Data Sets

Chris Holmes cholmes at openplans.org
Wed Jan 23 13:41:53 PST 2008

>> and could point me in the right direction? Cholmes sort of
>> unconvincingly suggested geodata at lists.osgeo.org. Does anyone else
>> have a thought?
>
> Well, it's interesting to hear about use cases there. And the
> committee has a remit to run a public geodata registry / repository;
> so we ideally *should* be able to offer this kind of answer.

Yeah, my thought was that ideally that list would have a bunch of people
who are really good at finding GIS data, and when someone asks a
question like that if it's not already in the repository they would have
good leads on how to hunt it down, and then be able to easily add it to
the repository.  But I realize that's not how it's set up now, which was
why my answer was unconvincing.