[OSGeo-Discuss] Does Open Source need a supervisory government body?

Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au
Sat Jan 26 16:52:13 PST 2008

IMO:

Thanks Ivan,

Agreed.

While government can certainly incubate, sponsor and contribute to
projects. My personal opinion is that they are better run by 'the
community'.

If the project is good enough, it should get sufficient supporters and
hopefully be picked up by a 'central authority' like OSGeo.

Bruce

> That sounds like removing the "F" from FOSS or should I say, that is a
> bazaar inside a cathedral. :)
>
> Seriously now, IMHO, as an FOSS contributor and a commercial software
> developer that uses FOSS, I believe that there is a complicated process
> of getting to the point to embrace a FOSS initiative and that statement
> does not help it at all. Where are the decisions made, in public
> e-mail-lists or in a cabinet? What about election and cabinet change?
>
> I am not saying that a government agency can't be the incubator of a
> *F*OSS, there are numerous successful example out there, but the
> governance of the project matter a lot. "If you love your OSS project
> set it free".

Notice:

contained in this email.