[OSGeo-Discuss] Thematic Mapping Engine as Open Source?

Bjorn Sandvik bjorn at thematicmapping.org
Mon Jun 23 16:43:34 EDT 2008

 > Also, it would be interesting to know if you had any thoughts on how
it could be used with other projects.

I agree that there might be some linkages to the OSGeo Cartographic
Library Proposal:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Cartographic_Library
There are some interesting bullet points under the Functionalty section
that relates to thematic mapping.

TME should be able to read simple features (boundaries for
choropleth/prims maps) in the most common formats.
So far only Well Known Text (WKT) is supported, but I would like to add
GeoJSON support, and possibly WFS Simple.
TME also needs centroids to place proportional symbols etc.

Features could be fetched from one source (e.g. MapServer or GeoServer)
and statistical data from another source
(like UNdata) - and then merged through geolinking.

There is a need for a thematic mapping standard, - or a thematic mapping
extension to SLD/SE.
There are a few proposals around:

1) Dietze, L. and Zipf, A. (2007 accepted): Extending OGC Styled Layer
Descriptor (SLD) for Thematic Cartography - Towards the ubiquitous use
of advanced mapping functions through standardized visualization rules.
4th Int. Symp. on LBS and Telecartography 2007.
http://www2.geoinform.fh-mainz.de/~zipf/Thematic-SLD.LBS-Telecarto2007.pdf

2) Sae-Tang, A, Ertz, O, 2007, Towards Web Services Dedicated to
Thematic Mapping, OSGeo Journal, Vol. 3
http://www.osgeo.org/files/journal/v3/en-us/final_pdfs/ertz.pdf

3) Iosifescu-Enescu, I.,2007, SE Implementation Specification Change
Request – extensions for thematic mapping, EU FP7 ORCHESTRA Consortium
https://www.rdb.ethz.ch/publications/info.php?proj_id=13956&pub_id=33170

Bjørn