[OSGeo-Discuss] Software Language

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Thu Jun 12 10:41:24 PDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:32 AM, Landon Blake <lblake at ksninc.com> wrote:

> The reality is that the software world is dominated by the
> western world and the English language. (How many programming languages do
> you know of that are written in Russian?) :]

I hope a Russian answers, because given the split between the Soviet
and western worlds in the early years of computing, I am sure there
must be several. Of course, our lack of knowledge is merely proof
positive of our insularity.

One of the things I found interesting reading the gvSIG code base is
how the variable and class names are in Spanish, but (necessarily) the
language keywords (for, if, while, then, protected, static) are
English.  It makes for an interesting soup.

P.