[OSGeo-Discuss] Chickens, Boards and Export Restrictions

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 14:28:04 PDT 2008

An Australian perspective, where we speak English almost exclusively:

I'd like to think we can address most of these issues by focusing on:

1. Be true to OSGeo's core values, possibly update them where they are
unclear.
* We promote Open Source Software and Open content.
* Engaging the international community is in our long term best interest
as we will increase our developer base.

2. We are a Meritocracy:
* Most of our funding comes from local organisations funding local
developers. OSGeo has minimal influence how this money is spent.
* If a local issue is important (like language) then it will be funded
locally.

3. OSGeo is a not-for-profit:
* If OSGeo starts chasing profits it will eventually lead to conflict of
interest between the bottom line and OSGeo's principles. That said,
OSGeo does have expenses and requires funding to continue, however we
should endevour to put principles ahead of profit.

====
In Australia and New Zealand, I haven't noticed the friction mentioned
in other parts of the world, probably because we are not effected by
export restrictions, and we speak English.

I recently had issue with OSGeo being asked to put its name behind a
conference about open source software, which used proprietary
presentation material - but these concerns were ethical and not geographic.

Australian is a local chapter which is in the process of incorporating
into a legal entity so that it can be used to handle money. Our focus is
on marketing OSGeo and the Open Source Geospatial stack.