[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo Globalisation

RAVI KUMAR ravivundavalli at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 14 08:38:55 PDT 2008

Hi All,  been noting the mail exchange on Global representation of OSGeo Board.
  I totally agree with friends who have expressed that location is not of great concern.
  But may I present some situations where in, being present in the area of interest
  is quite crucial.

  To promote freely available geodata:
  OSGeo India , has completed a Project in a second tier town and, we are placing this as free data on the web.

  To promote the use of open source software in the geospatial  industry
  We are encouraging people to take up indic translation of the front-end  of the software and customisation, such that; Ex: The sanitary  department can just use a customised OpenGIS (Say GRASS) to take his  decissions than learn the entire gamut of GIS.

  To provide support for the use of OSGeo software in education via curriculum development, outreach, and support.

  OSGeo India has trained the students of Geoinformatics in actually  making the GIS data sets. Now the institute is going to teach Open GIS,  for its students.

  I doubt if it is possible to plan all this, without being near abouts at the least.

  For a local chapter to be on the OSGeo board:
  This can defnitely add to their self esteem, if not any thing else.

  Some of the highlited lines are actually picked from OSGeo Goals.

  Cheers

  Ravi Kumar

  P.S:
    OSGeo Goals        The following more detailed goals support the overall mission:

   To provide resources for foundation projects - eg. infrastructure, funding, legal.
   To promote freely available geodata - free software is useless without data.
   To promote the use of open source software in the geospatial  industry (not just foundation software) - eg. PR, training, outreach.
   To encourage the implementation of open standards and standards-based interoperability in foundation projects.
   To ensure a high degree of quality in foundation projects in order to build and preserve the foundation "brand".
   To make foundation and related software more accessible to end users - eg. binary "stack" builds, cross package documentation.
   To provide support for the use of OSGeo software in education via curriculum development, outreach, and support.
   To encourage communication and cooperation between OSGeo  communities on different language (eg. Java/C/Python) and operating  system (eg. Win32, Unix, MacOS) platforms.
   To support use and contribution to foundation projects from the  worldwide community through internationalization of software and  community outreach.
   To operate an annual OSGeo Conference, possibly in cooperation with related efforts (eg. EOGEO).
   To award the Sol Katz award for service to the OSGeo community.