[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo Fundraising

Allan Doyle afdoyle at MIT.EDU
Mon Jun 16 10:33:04 PDT 2008

Regarding the income side of the budget, I recommend looking at IRS
form 8734 [1], which will have to be filled out at the end of the 5th
year of being a 501(c)(3) organization. OSGeo will have to pass the
"public support test" of getting at least 33% of its support from
"public sources". That 33%, if I recall correctly must be made up of
donations of $5000 or less. That means $35,000 in chunks smaller than
5K for the budget shown.

I think this is why Creative Commons had that huge donation push a
couple of years ago, when they realized they were about to bump into
that.

It can be far harder to get a lot of little donations than a few big
ones. If OSGeo fails the test, it can cause some major tax and
reporting headaches.

Better to think about it now and build it into the fundraising.

	Allan

[1] http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8734.pdf
and http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8734.pdf