[OSGeo-Discuss] Java Collaboration...Again

Jody Garnett jgarnett at refractions.net
Mon May 5 17:55:21 PDT 2008

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> I'm sure there will be some challenges in this effort. :-)
>
> I would also like to bring to your attention the MetaCRS project, an
> effort to confederate some other existing coordinate system related
> projects
> (particularly Proj4JS, CS-MAP and PROJ.4) and to work towards some shared
> test data and coordinate system dictionaries.
>
>   http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/MetaCRS
I had also found that wiki page and come to the same conclusion.
> I would love to see a few Java folks join the mailing list.  If
> nothing else, I would love to see some cooperation on shared test
> datasets, and
> coordinate system dictionaries with the Java world.  If the Java folks
> don't feel that a shared CRS component belong properly in GeoTools, or
> one of the other cooperating projects, then it could also in theory be
> handled as part of MetaCRS, though I'm not pushing this idea too hard.
GeoTools operates a series of small projects (each with its own module
maintainer), the module maintainer for the GeoTools referencing module
(Martin Desruisseaux) is open to the idea of carving off the work as a
separate project. I have a few technical concerns, and a few community
concerns, but it sounds like a great direction.

The work is also welcome to stay as part of GeoTools and we could focus
on making a distinct download that just contains the referencing support.

The final suggestion (that is a little bit weak) is to set up a common
API for client code, and fold one or more implementations in behind
them. I know that sounds silly, but currently GeoTools has a single CRS
facade class and some GeoAPI interfaces which are all client code needs
to use ... so I know it can be done.

Cheers,
Jody