[OSGeo-Discuss] Java Collaboration...Again

Jody Garnett jgarnett at refractions.net
Mon May 5 17:59:57 PDT 2008

Landon Blake wrote:
> Frank,
>
> I will join the MetaCRS mailing list as you suggest.
>
> You wrote: "If the Java folks don't feel that a shared CRS component belong properly in GeoTools..."
>
> I don't think most of us will have a problem with the library being hosted by GeoTools. It seems like the logical choice. I can visit with Jody about this some more of things materialize.

I just have some advocacy work to do, right now GeoTools is often viewed
as an all or nothing affair. In actual fact it is arranged into a series
of layers (much like the proj, geos, gdal stack).  Some of the geotools
"layers" are handled as separate projects (like JTS)  others the
individual geotools modules ... you only need to include as many of
these modules as you are planning to use.

What I would like to do is make a few additional GeoTools downloads
available for specific purposes; that is probably a good idea regardless
of how this discussion plays out.

Cheers,
Jody