[OSGeo-Discuss] scale of FOSS projects

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Tue May 6 13:23:30 PDT 2008

Jo,

You have touched on an issue dear to my heart. I have a lot of work to
do this afternoon, so I can't babble on as I normally do. But, I can't
resist one or two short comments.

Jo wrote: "In the past i've heard it suggested that really successful
open source
projects now need serious organisational backing. They can't be built
by a network of partly-funded enthusiast contributors alone."

I won't disagree with this perspective, I will only offer this point for
consideration:

An open source project appears more stable to me if it is supported by a
"network of party-funded enthusiasts contributors" than a single
corporate entity.

Why?

What happens when that corporate entity is sold, goes out of business,
or looses interest in the open source project, or looses funding for the
open source project?
Users have very little control over the corporate decision making
process.

An open source project supported by a diverse group of volunteers has a
much greater chance of surviving in my humble opinion. OpenJUMP would be
one example of this. If it had depended on its original corporate
sponsor for survival it would have died a long time ago.

I think the ability to fork open source code puts a real limitation on
the ability of any one entity to create an "open source monopoly". Forks
are the ultimate evil in the open source world, but they sometimes
become the necessary "nuclear option". One open source program that I
can think of that survived a serious fork is Inkscape/Sodipod, with
Inkscape now being what I would call an successful open source project.

Landon