[OSGeo-Discuss] Can I do the same GIS tasks with OS (as with ESRI)?

P Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Tue May 6 14:44:44 PDT 2008

On 5/6/08, Christopher Schmidt <crschmidt at crschmidt.net> wrote:
> On Tue, May 06, 2008 at 11:00:54PM +0200, Dirk Frigne wrote:
>  > > On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 08:21:21PM +0200, Arnulf Christl wrote:
>  > > > What was a Desktop GIS exactly? I only have a browser and for some
>  > > strange
>  > > > reason all that I do starts with an http://...
>  > >
>  > > A Desktop GIS is what you switch to when you realize that the browser
>  > > makes a really poor operating system, and moving outside of it and
>  > > using
>  > > the rest of your computer is important to accomplishing some tasks.
>  >

> > I understand your answer, but instead of switching to the desktop GIS only,
>  > you should decide to switch to the server in some circumstances for
>  > accomplishing some tasks...
>

> My response to Arnulf was tongue in cheek: sorry that didn't come across
>  well.

Actually, I thought it was a very well put response. It came off very well.

Recognizing the boundaries of the capabilities of desktop vs. the
browser is perhaps the first step toward making a sane application. A
few capabilities port over from one to the other. The ones that don't
and yet are force-fitted into the wrong environment make for a very
sucky experience.

--
Puneet Kishor