[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: Sign the Hague declaration

P Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Wed May 14 13:59:11 PDT 2008

On 5/14/08, Michael P. Gerlek <mpg at lizardtech.com> wrote:
> I'm not looking to start a debate, but...

you just did, and a good one at that.

>  >> We call on all governments to:
>  >>
>  >>   1. Procure only information technology that implements free and
>  open standards;
>  >>   2. Deliver e-government services based exclusively on free and open
>  standards;
>  >>   3. Use only free and open digital standards in their own
>  activities.
>  >>

>  I'm certainly sympathetic to the desires this declaration seems to
>  express, but this seems to go too far by using words like "only" and
>  "exclusively".

indeed. As much as an open source advocate, proponent and practitioner
I have, I see little positive effect that this declaration would have.
In all likelihood, it would further brand us as zealots.

I thought "us" or "them" went out the window a few years ago when we
realized that working together is better.

"free and open digital standards" is all well and good but a
meaningless concept. Standard for what?

Nelson Institute for Environmental Studies http://www.nelson.wisc.edu/
Open Source Geospatial Foundation (OSGeo) http://www.osgeo.org/