[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: Sign the Hague declaration

RAVI KUMAR ravivundavalli at yahoo.com
Thu May 15 04:33:48 PDT 2008

Hi all,
having common standards must be propagated.
Egovernance, is catching up in the developing world and India has its share too.
It is pertinent to keep the formats common like in OGC
where irrespective of the software used, file types are Open.
Cheers
Ravi Kumar

P Kishor <punk.kish at gmail.com> wrote: On 5/15/08, Lester Caine  wrote:
> P Kishor wrote:
>
> > On 5/14/08, Michael P. Gerlek  wrote:
> >
> > > I'm not looking to start a debate, but...
> > >

> > you just did, and a good one at that.
> >

> > >  >> We call on all governments to:
> > >  >>
> > >  >>   1. Procure only information technology that implements free and
> > >  open standards;
> > >  >>   2. Deliver e-government services based exclusively on free and
> open
> > >  standards;
> > >  >>   3. Use only free and open digital standards in their own
> > >  activities.
> > >  >>

> > >  I'm certainly sympathetic to the desires this declaration seems to
> > >  express, but this seems to go too far by using words like "only" and
> > >  "exclusively".
> > >

> > indeed. As much as an open source advocate, proponent and practitioner
> > I have, I see little positive effect that this declaration would have.
> > In all likelihood, it would further brand us as zealots.
> >

>  I tend to agree there. PROMOTE cooperation.
>

> > I thought "us" or "them" went out the window a few years ago when we
> > realized that working together is better.
> >
> > "free and open digital standards" is all well and good but a
> > meaningless concept. Standard for what?
> >

>  But disagree there. Switching from M$ documents to 'real' open source
> documents and dropping licensed graphical data in favour of OSM and other
> free map data opens the door to 'Standardising' on something that we can all
> cooperate on.

It still is not clear what the "something" is... are you advocating a
standard for a license or a standard for a format? Are you talking
about standards in office-productivity applications (word-processing,
spreadsheet, presentation software) or in databases (should we boycott
everyone who uses Oracle and Ingres?) or remote sensing (does IDL go
out the window?) or medical imaging or audio or video or ... you get
the picture. Let me repeat my question.

Standard for what?

Nelson Institute for Environmental Studies http://www.nelson.wisc.edu/
Open Source Geospatial Foundation (OSGeo) http://www.osgeo.org/