[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: Sign the Hague declaration

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Thu May 15 11:08:30 PDT 2008

Frank wrote: "I also do not accept that getting government data in open
standard formats is a basic right..."

I had to respond to this statement. :]

I'd be pretty upset of my federal, state, or local government released
written information in French. It would be pretty useless to me. I think
the same could be said for digital information in some type of
proprietary binary format. If you don't have the software needed to read
it, it might as well be in French.

As a consequence, I don think governments have a responsibility to
distribute digital information in a form that is palatable. Preferably
this data would be in a  human-readable format, and would also be
capable of being parsed, but palatable at a minimum. Give me a PDF if
nothing else, but I'd rather have it as a CSV file. :]

I would also point out that the political climate in the United States
when it comes to open source and open standards is quite different in
the United States than it is in Europe. Companies like Microsoft are
very much involved in applying money and political pressure to make sure
formats like .doc remain mainstream and in use by the government.

I don't think this is the case in Europe, but I could be mistaken.

Landon