[OSGeo-Discuss] on Google Code and export restrictions

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Mon May 26 11:23:25 PDT 2008

Frank wrote:
> But it is unclear to me yet how much effort we are
> expected to put into stopping embargoed nations
> from getting our stuff.  It seems that Google is
> going to substantially more effort than most
> organizations have.

I think that although the law applies to everyone, the level of
enforcement varies with the software that is being exported.  One of the
folks in a newsgroup I follow creates pipeline and plant control
software.  He's had the CIA in his office on several occasions, and has
to apply rigorous IP-level blocks as well as click-through mechanisms
certifying eligibility.  No open HTTP/FTP sites for him.

Jason