[OSGeo-Discuss] Open Source development metrics

Jeroen Ticheler Jeroen.Ticheler at fao.org
Wed May 28 06:20:10 PDT 2008

Hmmm, I tend to strongly disagree here. Forking indeed can prevent a
lock-in if that is becoming a serious issue in the project. Otherwise
it just causes lots of duplication of efforts and dilution of energy
into different forked versions.

It also does not help the average user much in selecting what's good
for him/her. I think that Ubuntu as a popular release is one of the
proofs that too much choice does not help to reach the large crowd. By
limiting the installed default software packages they quickly reached
a huge user group.

My 2 cents, ciao,
Jeroen