[OSGeo-Discuss] South African safety situation

bartvde at osgis.nl bartvde at osgis.nl
Fri May 30 01:59:33 PDT 2008

Looking at my African travel experience I doubt that this will really
affect us. The violence is mostly against people who are "stealing" jobs in
the eyes of some South-Africans, so tourists should be relatively safe. I
would be more worried if I would be planning a cruise on the coast of
Somalia.

Compare South-Africa to Zimbabwe, last year I was 1 month in Zimbabwe and
did not experience anything negative, besides all the power and water cuts.
This year, before going to FOSS4G2008, I'll visit Zimbabwe again for 3
weeks, even though the stories you hear about Zimbabwe are worse than SA.
As long as you are not politically involved, the situation should still be
safe in Zimbabwe I believe.

Best regards,
Bart