[OSGeo-Discuss] South African safety situation

Jody Garnett jgarnett at refractions.net
Fri May 30 10:58:18 PDT 2008

Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> Hi all.
> I'm informed, both from the newspapers and from South African friends,
> that there are serious concerns about safety in South Africa. Of
> course this will not affect FOSS4G directly, but I'm sure many of us
> are planning to have some holidays before or after the conference, so
> not being able to tour around freely will detract much from the appeal
> of the conference. This could result in less participation, thus in
> turn in lower general interest.
I spent a good deal of time in South Africa in 2006 and I agree that
"safety" is something to be concerned about. And as long as you are
concerned and aware I would not let it spoil your visit.

Capetown is very well set up for tourists and visitors; you can let your
comfort level dictate what else you want to do.
- Hike up table top mountain - pretty safe but bring water
- Take the gondola up the mountain - pretty safe unless you are afraid
of heights
- Food in the harbour next to the tall ships - yum
- Tour a township - pretty safe and some interesting history
- Drive into a township and walk around - not so safe, take a tour
- Shark cage diving - mostly safe (but the Atlantic is cold)
- Skydiving - not so safe
> Any news or indications from local organizers? I think this is a
> problem that should be dealt with, for the best success of the
> meeting. All the best.
I recommend heading along the "garden route" if you are up for a road
trip; there are lots of nice bed and breakfasts to stay in etc...

Cavallini you are from Italy? Capetown will be much easier than Naples.
Jody