[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: Voting for new OSGeo Charter Members open until 6th June 2008

Dave Patton davep at confluence.org
Fri May 30 20:00:29 PDT 2008

P Kishor wrote:
> So, on the basis of a highly scientific polling methodology, we have 5
> for inviting all 18 nominated to become Charter Members and 2 for
> leaving 3 behind.
>
> There is some logic in sticking with the program, but programs have to
> be malleable and changeable with the times and situation. 15 is as
> arbitrary a number as 18. My choosing 15 out of the list is going to
> 100% irrational and arbitrary.

3 is as arbitrary a number as 4, or 5, or 6.....
So what would happen if there were 19 nominations,
or 20 or 21 ....
Changing the policy may be appropriate, but not
during the process. For example, knowing that
the 'magic number' is 15, some people might
have decided not to make further nominations
on seeing a list of 18 well qualified nominees,
but may have made a different choice had they
known the 'magic number' could be changed.

--
Dave Patton
CIS Canadian Information Systems

Degree Confluence Project: