[OSGeo-Discuss] Are United States R&D Tax Credits Applicable to Open Source Software Development?

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Mon Nov 3 16:54:49 PST 2008

I'm currently working on a proposal to secure some corporate funding for
development of OpenJUMP, an open source desktop GIS viewer. I'd like to
know if any of you have experience with applying research and
development tax credits to the development of open source software (in
the United States). It will be a lot easier to secure funding if I can
show my boss that we could be eligible for a tax discount.

Is it possible to apply research and development tax credits to open
source development? Where could I learn more about the rules and
limitations that would apply? Does the OSGeo have a guide for companies
or organization interested in funding open source development? Could we
put something like this together?

Landon

Warning: