[OSGeo-Discuss] We now have an updated version of the OSGeo Logo

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Wed Nov 5 07:13:12 PST 2008

Hi All,
some might remember that we started working on an updated version of the
OSGeo logo (last year...). There have been some technical reasons to
update the logo. It is now easier to stitch on paraphernalia, copy on
table cloth banners, etc. Beyond this we have also listened to the
critics of the old version who said that the logo looked a bit more like
a steering wheel than a compass.

What needs to be done now is to tell the rest of the world about it so
that all who link to us will eventually exchange their old copy of the
logo to the new one. Please join the effort, hack your own site, upload
the new logo to your favorite social network, in general - spread the word.

>From a Marketing perspective you can tell a short story that ties in
well with our history. The compass rose has grown over the initial
circle symbolizing that we are reaching out to other realms as yet
untouched by spatial and FOSS. The lower right quarter of the outer
circle is open, symbolizing that we have an interface to connect with
others. This might be interesting for Local Chapters who want to use the
logo and add their own tag line (our current branding guidelines do not
allow this but we will amend that soon). You might want to maintain more
individuality and integrate the compass with your existing logo. If in
doubt, ask Marketing.

The official logo tag line reads "Your Open Source Compass" and it
should not be changed. Plus there are now three special ones for
sponsorship one each for projects and incubating projects. Those should
only be used on sites that are officially mandated to do so (please
check back with Marketing if you are unsure whether you are allowed to
use it).

You can also use the compass alone or with the "OSGeo" text below it
(thats the one on the Wiki). All versions are available through
SVN [0] as SVG, EMF, PNG24 and PNG8.

The obvious places in the Wiki [1], and the Drupal website have been
updated but some might still be linked from elsewhere. If you find one,
please exchange it for the updated version.

The large part of the work will be to update many more and often
inconspicuous places including the templates for OSGeo presentations,
logo guidelines and so on.

In a week or so we should be able to make a Press Release. If you have
anything to add pleas hack the Wiki [2].

Best regards,
Arnulf.

[0] http://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/marketing/logo/
[1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Logo
[2] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Logo_Update

PS:
I hopelessly underestimated the effort of getting this done in a timely
manner and organized fashion and therefore now just went ahead.
Hopefully we get this done well and I promise to never suggest updating
the logo ever again.