[OSGeo-Discuss] Foreign Language Community Support

Yves Jacolin (free) yjacolin at free.fr
Sun Nov 9 07:15:38 PST 2008

Hi Christopher,

Le dimanche 09 novembre 2008, Christopher Schmidt a écrit :
> Projects like OpenLayers are, at this time, too small to have seperate
> lists for different langauges. (Or at least, that's been the theory;
> it's possible we're bigger than that now, but we'll pretend for a
> moment.)
>
> I would like to create a resource that tells users of OpenLayers where
> they can go to find support for their native langauge, if such a
> community is available. Specifically, I'm not looking to find comunities
> are willing to actually answer the OpenLayers question, just to, for
> example, help the user find out how to ask the question, or search for the
> problem, etc.
> As I see it, it looks right now like:

Indeed the francophone ML is a good starting point to find help about all
OSGeo technologies and projects. But its purpose is to work on Francophone LC
so we will redirect to a local ML/Forum for technologies issues (like
http://georezo.net/forum/viewforum.php?id=38 and http://forumsig.org).

GeoRezo.net is a forum - Mailing list couple of several topics (open source
and proprietary applications). I am one of the moderator of the GeoLibre and
GeoLibre-web forum. People can find help about technologies and other topic.

(Hum after reading again your mail, it seems I a little bit misunderstood). So
yes all Local chapter are often a good starting point for asking general
questions in native langage. There are a lot of local ML for that.

> I'm curious if members of these lists believe that an email from a
> French speaker asking, for example, for help translating a question or
> answer regarding OpenLayers would be welcomed or not. Also, I'm curious
> if there are other langauge lists that would also be able to help solve
> problems like this.
Do you mean something like: asking in french -> translating in english ->
answer in english -> translating in french?

> Of coures, if you think that pointing people to local mailing lists is a
> silly idea, you're also welcome to say that :)
I won't say that :). If you read french and search OpenLayers in the forum
given above you will find that there are a lot of people asking informations
about OpenLayers ... and a lot of answer ;)

Again LC aims to help local comunities, create people networking, support
about technologics and non-technologics issues.

Best regards,

Y.
--
Yves Jacolin

"Give freedom to people is not enough, we also have to give them the power
to use this freedom, to act". M Gauchet