[OSGeo-Discuss] Foreign Language Community Support

Lorenzo Becchi lorenzo at ominiverdi.com
Sun Nov 9 11:21:04 PST 2008

Christopher Schmidt wrote:

>  does
> http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/GettingHelp/ForeignLanguageSupport seem
> like an appropriate way to enocurage people to seek help? Does my
> suggestions for how to handle lack of speaking a language make some
> sense?

I think this is a good initiative.
trying to be a bit critic, it is the kind of page that a person who
knows a little of English doesn't need because they can write to the
international list.
a person who knows nothing of English cannot understand all that text,
probably.

To make it easy, we can maybe add links to the automatic translation to
many different languages, ex:
------------------
Version en EspaƱol, linking to:
http://translate.google.es/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Ftrac.openlayers.org%2Fwiki%2FGettingHelp%2FForeignLanguageSupport&sl=en&tl=es&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
------------------
better would be to create human translations of your text but it will
take more time.

I think that using the language chapters as reference is a good idea. I
would put a bigger emphasis on them.
Talking about the Spanish Language Chapter List, I can say that there
are already some good expert on OpenLayers (and not only).
I would suggest other projects with small/medium communities to do the same.

A little note about "Interested in English Language List". I would avoid
to live this part here. If a lot of people starts to add his name there,
that page will convert soon in a mess, loosing the target of the message.
I would leave to local chapters the organizations of list request if the
traffic on a single project (ex: OpenLayers) starts to be aggressive.

thx
lorenzo