[OSGeo-Discuss] Anyone interested in geocoding and routing?

(Orkney)Toru Mori moritoru at orkney.co.jp
Tue Nov 11 00:46:45 PST 2008

Apart from technical design, geocoder is "useless without data" :)

Address systems are varied and messy, at least here in Japan and in other
Asia region. For example, Japan has more than 3 systems. Additionally it
is very tough to get good "enough" data. There is no separation in address
text.

We developed geocoder.ja already for our region specifically, but
unfortunately it won't work in even other countries in Asia.
http://www.postlbs.org/ja/geocoder

A sigle universal, global geocoder may sound perfect. However, there is
very limited space in terms of standardization as follows.

     API (can be standardized)
 thin parser (might be standardized)
 geocoding logic (cannot be standardized)
     local dataset (varied and messy)

So what OSGeo should lead would be just APIs. If OSGeo wants to
standardize lower levels, then the project won't finish probably.

p.s. Anybody want to talk about routing?

Toru Mori