[OSGeo-Discuss] ESRI Spain conference incident

Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas xurxosanz at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 03:15:29 EDT 2008

Hi All, I resend this mail to OSGeo discuss because I think is a
serious incident that cannot be obviated and shows how things are
getting at least in Spanish market.

I write this mail on behalf of Álvaro Anguix one of the leaders of
gvSIG Project (it seems he is more confident with my English than me
:P). I've posted his letter in Spanish on my personal weblog[1], and I
write down here more or less his thoughts.

As you may know, he works for IVER, the most prominent company that
supports gvSIG (aside note, I work for Prodevelop, another gvSIG
supporting company). Ok, some coworkers of him went to Madrid few days
ago to attend the Annual ESRI Users Conference. Because IVER has
customers that use ESRI technology they, as every year, wanted to know
the latest "arc-news". Obviously they registered previously and they
were confirmed by the organization.

Well, when they tried to register at the beginning of the conference,
the Marketing Director invited them to abandon the conference. Even
more, the Managing Director of ESRI Spain insisted one of the IVER
people that "to talk with customers, better she should go to a café or
on the street". Quite annoying and bizarre!

As Alvaro says, why they have this behavior with his colleagues? Maybe
they fear FOSS companies?

Anyway, all of you are invited to the gvSIG conf, even to discuss,
it's free in both senses ;)

See you
[1] http://geomaticblog.net/gb2/es/2008-10-16-esri_haciendo_amigos
--