[OSGeo-Discuss] Can we use a LiveDVD for workshops and labs at FOSS4G 2009?

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Sun Oct 19 18:14:24 PDT 2008

On 19-Oct-08, at 5:30 PM, P Kishor wrote:

> I have no skin in this game, but I would second the above sentiment.
> While "not free as in beer" should not be as much of a problem as "not
> free as in speech," ignoring Windows is perilous and foolish. Because
> of its lack of architecture diversity and its monolithic nature,
> actually Windows can be a pretty good open source development platform
> because one can actually get past dicking around with installing the
> damn software and get to developing with it.

This thread is discussin "LiveDVD", right, which is not readily
possible with Windows unless running some sort of VM.  But of course,
the solution is to have installers and packaged demos ready to go.
That's the goal of projects like OSGeo4W:
http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/

Hopefully those with more Windows experience can help on that front.