[OSGeo-Discuss] Can we use a LiveDVD for workshops and labs at FOSS4G 2009?

Chris Puttick chris.puttick at thehumanjourney.net
Sun Oct 19 23:25:01 PDT 2008

----- "Daniel P. Ames" <amesdani at isu.edu> wrote:
> Hi folks.  As you all know, there is a growing interest in open source
> for Windows. Especially with Microsoft's release of its developer
> tools in free "express" editions and the availability of such tools as
> SharpDevelop and Mono.
>
> MapWindow is .NET based and the bulk of our developers and users are
> strictly MS based.  I don't think this makes them any less human, it
> just says that their threshold for open source is set such that a $90
> Windows operating system is considered acceptable but a $10000 GIS is
> not.

But to split hairs, if MapWindow is .NET based it is not entirely open source as it is dependent on a closed source platform. Now if it also works on Mono (as in developed with that in mind), that's no longer true. Does it? I would also suggest that developing an open source project inside an environment controlled by one of the companies most damaged if the open source development model becomes the norm is inviting failure.

OTOH I would be a supporter of having Windows available on the LiveDVD in VirtualBox, partly for reasons you suggest below and partly so "Linux avoiders" can realise you can also gain from avoiding that $90 tax on your PC. The use of Windows in VirtualBox should be legitimate if the host machines have licences. Legitimate as in defendable at least; not sure how pragmatic Australian courts are on software licencing and some of the more ridiculous terms companies include in them...

NB would require two versions of the DVD as it could not be distributed including the Windows VM. And come to think of it, given Window's special size requirements as an OS, it would probably require a Bluray disc instead of a DVD ;)

Chris