[OSGeo-Discuss] defining a Geospatial Integration Showcase to be launched at FOSS4G 2009

Dave Patton davep at confluence.org
Thu Oct 23 07:17:12 PDT 2008

On 2008/10/22 3:58 PM, Jody Garnett wrote:
> Cameron Shorter wrote:
>> The OGC, a likely supporter, will be talking with our FOSS4G
>> organising committee early next week, and I'd like to table ideas from
>> you, the OSGeo community, to the meeting.

> Data is where it starts; do you have data?

Data is certainly needed, but the 'most important thing'
is to "make it happen". For FOSS4G 2007, we had lots of
data, loaded onto a server, but the Integration Showcase
didn't take place.

For 2009, I'd suggest only two sets of data are needed:
- Australian/New Zealand data, so that 'local' participants
   can see 'local data', and so as to draw 'local' data
   custodians into participation in FOSS4G 2009
- OSGeo datasets, because they are widely available, and
   may already be used as example datasets in training
   materials, etc.

Having other datasets, and/or services, might be nice, but
could always be dealt with 'later on', if there is time
'right before the conference'. Also, if the Integration
Showcase is 'up and running', then it provides the opportunity
for people to create Workshops that show people how to
take 'their data' and use it in a similar fashion. People
can take the Workshop, get some knowledge, and then see
in the Integration Showcase real live examples, and hopefully
will be able to understand how they can apply the knowledge
to 'their own' data sources.

If the above is to be able to be done, then it suggests that
the technologies used by the Integration Showcase should all
be covered by Workshops and/or Presentations, so that people
can both see the Integration Showcase, and also have the
opportunities to learn about 'how it all fits together'.
Those opportunities should probably include both 'beginner
level' as well as some 'pushing the envelope advanced stuff'.

--
Dave Patton
CIS Canadian Information Systems

Degree Confluence Project: