[OSGeo-Discuss] defining a Geospatial Integration Showcase to be launched at FOSS4G 2009

P Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 12:43:28 PDT 2008

Chris's comments are very valid and very important. I speak from the
position of having been involved in the entire process that gave rise
to the CC0 protocol.

Every jurisdiction has its own laws. Here in the US, databases, for
the most part, cannot be copyrighted. Creative Commons License is
literally a *License* for *Creative*  works, and entails legal
obligations on the part of the entity accepting the license.

The CC0 protocol is *not* a license. It is not legally binding. It is
a *protocol*, a suggested way of doing things. What is says is, in
effect, that scientific data (assuming that geodata are scientific)
are meant for the good of all, and they can't be copyrighted, and so,
should be shared with all without any legal expectation for
attribution but definitely having a customary expectation for
attribution. And, yes, CC0 is also a work in progress.

Any entity that is not comfortable with CC0, not only with the fact
that it is not a license but also possibly not comfortable with the
expectations it lays down, should really pursue its own license. Of
course, that would not be good for the uptake of CC0. It would be nice
for the entire world to adopt and promote CC0 or something like it.

Stuff other than data, such as software, documentation or education
material, can be happily licensed under Creative Commons.

Nelson Institute for Environmental Studies http://www.nelson.wisc.edu/
Open Source Geospatial Foundation (OSGeo) http://www.osgeo.org/