[OSGeo-Discuss] some post-FOSS4G thoughts

Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas xurxosanz at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 12:35:01 PDT 2008

2008/10/24 Alex Borrell <borrellalex at gmail.com>:

> On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 7:52 AM, Laura Toma <ltoma at bowdoin.edu> wrote:

> Thanks Laura for your comments. It's true that FOSS4G is expensive, at least
> for Latin America. Cape Town
> and Sydney are far away from our budgets. I would take advantage of you mail
> to get in touch with other users
> in Latin American countries and try unite, and maybe sometime sponsor a
> conference or chapter. I am new
> to OSGeo, working to get some projects to work in Guadalajara city in
> Mexico. I am not aware of many
> users of gis open software here, but is definitely worth trying!
>
> Hope to get to some FOSS4G anytime soon, but like to thank all of you
> involved in these projects, you
> really help a lot.
>
> Alex Borrell
> Department of Transit and Transport.
> Guadalajara, Mexico

Hi Alex,

Maybe you don't know that OSGeo has a Spanish Language local chapter.
We have a mailing list and we're almost finished the process to be an
official LC of OSGeo. You can get more info at our entry page[1] at
osgeo wiki or go to the #osgeo-es irc channel to see if there's
someone

Finally, in February 2009 there will be an event at La Habana (Cuba)
where some OSGeoers will meet to perform a one day workshop and some
presentations about OSGeo and other projects[2].

Regards
[1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Spanish
[2] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_en_Informatica_2009
--