[OSGeo-Discuss] kicked the ESRI habit,now weening from BentleyMicroStation..looking toward FOSS4G

Bob Basques Bob.Basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Wed Oct 29 09:33:38 PDT 2008

Frank,

It sounds like we're both in the same boat then, too chicken to put something to paper (web).  I feel very comfortable talking about GeoMoose and MapServer and to some degree OpenLayers and PostGis, but that's about it.

Edting a section of page for each of these packages and how they react/integrate with each other would be where my comfort zone would be at.  So, how do we get this type of documenting started?

I've thought about putting it on our GeoMoose pages, but then only the GeoMoose subscribers would see it, and not necessarily new folks that are seeing the light (so to speak) on the topic of Open Source.

Can some sort of list of packages with a sublist of connectible packages be generated somehow?  Something akin to WikiPedia but with OsGeo Focus?  Should WikiPedia be used as the end page possibly, where each package is described individually and cross referenced in a OSGEO page?

You may be able to tell that I've thought about this somewhat in the past . . . .  :c)

bobb

Bob Basques wrote:
> Markus,
>
> What's all that stuff in there about managed and un-managed supposed to
> describe?  Seems to be somewhat out of date.  I think I would start over
> with the whole bottom section.
>
> Another thing with this page is, I wouldn't feel comfortable goin g in there
> and changing anything without knowing the details about each package listed.
> I think a different approach is needed that reflects each package more
> directly.  I'm involved in the GeoMoose project for Example, which is a
> WebFront for MapServer ( and will be using OpenLayers LIBs in the near
> future as well).   I would prefer to describe each package separately along
> with how they interact.  Possibly as a spreadsheet to begin with.
>
> Is this approariate for this page, or in some other ??

Bob,

I will say, that I think preparing a "which project to use" document is
fraught with peril. It is hard for anyone to have a really good picture of
the strengths and weaknesses of all the packages.  Even if the result is
"fair" it is inevitably going to ruffle feathers in some projects who may
feel it is unfair.

I applaud efforts to prepare a document - I'm just too chicken (and
unknowledgable) to do it myself!

Best regards,