[OSGeo-Discuss] Raster data on RDBMS

Sylvan Ascent Inc. sylvanascent at mail2web.net
Wed Oct 29 12:19:27 PDT 2008

I understand. It is the difference between having to (1)serve fixed size tiles really fast out to GEarth/OpenLayers/etc, or (2) having to provide a random image or derivation thereof in any size, format, projection(WCS?). In the second case, speeding up the backend is the only way, in the first case, a tile cache could be a better choice.

There is another possibility, that of putting a self-building cache on the backend, between the raw datastore and the WCS server, it could even be a database with some PGChip scheme.

<<The real point is should we discard RDBMS for Raster storage just because we are sure that there will be overhead, ours direct fopen(), fread() will always be faster? Myth or fact? Those tests have proven otherwise so the question is what is going own?>>

It may be faster from the db, as you can leverage the spatial index, and only pull the tiles you need, but I think Frank can answer this better.

I'm currently most interested in the first case of serving tiles, so if anyone has ideas on best practice for this, that would be great.

Roger Bedell, President Sylvan Ascent Inc.