[OSGeo-Discuss] Shapefile lacking SRS information

Andrew Turner ajturner at highearthorbit.com
Thu Sep 4 06:08:34 PDT 2008

Wow - great project. From my understanding - the most powerful aspect
here is that it's too easy for external metadata to be lost or
disassociated in archives. So merely having tags along-side an asset
(e.g. photo) means that if the photo is stored independent of the HTML
tags, then all is lost. By storing the metadata *in* the asset itself,
it means they are permanently linked (unless passed through bad
converters)

GeoCommons has all of the OSM data available as Shapefiles (and CSV & KML):
 http://finder.geocommons.com/searches?query=norway

and there is a German FTP site with similar as shapefiles.

As for tools, I highly recommend the open-source ExifTool (perl)
library by Phil Harvey:
http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

It is the core of most of the open and commercial geotagging software
out there. It is simple to wrap this in any script to geotag sets of
images.

What I would then recommend is a simple "bundle" that is archived of
the tools needed to both geotag, and then mine/visualize any set of
photos. This would include a folder of:
 - exiftool
 - script for loading in folders of images and GPX/KML files
corresponding to photos
 - script for mining folders of images and dumping out as KML
 - OpenLayers & index.html for viewing a folder of images or loading in the KML

What you then have is a Time Capsule system for any images. :)

And re: Flickr et al. they are super great tools, and are archived -
and most importantly have API's for pulling out all of your stored
data!

--
Andrew Turner
mobile: 248.982.3609