[OSGeo-Discuss] Wiki Upkeep - Orphaned Pages

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Apr 21 14:40:55 PDT 2009

Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 11:01 PM, Alex Mandel
> <tech_dev at wildintellect.com> wrote:
>> So looking around there a few things that could use some work on the
>> wiki and are easy enough for any community member to help with.
>>
>> 1. We have 327 Orphaned Pages, these are pages that exist but that no
>> other page links to. Which means no one is likely to ever find them or
>> their useful content.
>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php?title=Special:LonelyPages&limit=500&offset=0
>
> Alex, not sure how this works, e.g.
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Cascadoss_Symposium_2008
> is indexed like that but that's a legal page about a past
> event (where we participated).
> I consider it a bug if a valid category isn't sufficient to get
> a page not be marked as orphaned. Making artificial links
> elsewhere doesn't make sense to me - any opinion how to
> deal with this phenomenon?

>> Cleaning up these to aspects will yield a more usable and navigable
>> wiki. Please if you have 5 minutes cleanup a couple of links.
>
> With care :) please don't remove good content!
>
> Markus

I agree a category should suffice to not have it be an orphan, in the
case of California Chapter events, we have a list of everything we've
gone to and Marketing is talking about making a table of all events
OSGeo attends, both of these methods could eliminate the orphan issue
for events.

There should be 0 pages removed from this process, and when in doubt
about a link, just leave it for someone else who knows that topic.

Thanks,
Alex