[OSGeo-Discuss] Options for sharing geodata symbology along with WFS?

Alexandre Leroux alexandre.leroux at ec.gc.ca
Fri Aug 14 08:58:00 PDT 2009

Hi all,

My team is starting to play with WFS and a colleague had the following
question: what are the options we have for sharing the symbology of
geodata served via WFS?

If I'm not mistaken, symbology isn't part of the WFS service. I know
there's the OGC Symbology Encoding standard, but is this the best way to
share symbology of WFS-served data? Can't the geodata be styled directly
by the GML styles of the WFS-served data? If that's an option, what tool
(open source ideally, of course) should we use to create those styles?

To be honest, no one of my team knows a lot about WFS yet (or much on
the other OGC standards). I thought of asking the WFS forum
(http://feature.opengeospatial.org/forumbb/viewforum.php?f=17 ) but
activity is pretty low. I'm confident this list will provide insightful
answers! :-) To my defense for this OSGeo-unrelated question, we do
process and serve all the related geodata using OSGeo software! ;-)

Thanks for any replies!

Alex
--
Alexandre Leroux, M.Sc., Ing.
Environnement Canada / Environment Canada
alexandre.leroux at ec.gc.ca